Studies show that good air circulation could help prevent SIDS. A fan in the room is also a great way to add white noise for baby. As I am sure everyone has heard, unless a doctor instructs otherwise, infants should always be placed on their backs to sleep. Wikipedia is informative about SIDS as another source.
Although the law states that your child may face forward in his/her car seat at one year AND 20 lbs., it is recommended for safety's sake to have your child face backward as long as possible- until he/she meets the maximum height and weight for the car seat's specifications. Read more by clicking the link above.
Update 4/16/10: I faced my son forward when he was about 20 months old.
Here are a few nursery tips:
- To display the cute coordinating nursery comforter on the wall, use a curtainrod and hanging drapery ring clips.
- You can also use a curtainrod to hang the diaper stacker (but I suggest placement higher than is shown in the picture, as my toddler likes to remove diapers from it).
- A great way to add color to a nursery is to install a picture ledge shelf and display pretty children's books out of reach of destructive little ones.
- My changing table is simply an Ikea bookshelf with the contoured changing pad strapped to it. It is the perfect height and displays all of baby's toys within reach.
- Hang a toy above the changing table as something to distract baby when having his diaper changed.
- A small tin or basket filled with baby shoes makes a decorative and functional addition to a nursery.
A great website for those who are pregnant or who have little ones is www.babycenter.com. You enter your due date or child's age and subscribe for free. You get an email each week showing how your baby is growing, and if your child is born, the email tells you things your baby should be doing and suggestions for encouraging his/her development. There is a section with parents' questions and answers which is helpful. It is a really great resource.
Emily became a mommy on her birthday in July of 2008 to a wonderful son named Sam. She has since become rather obsessed with all things related to babies and baby items.