For a first birthday, when I don't know what the birthday kid already has and the child might rather play with the box than the gift, I like to give useful things. Here are a few items that I think would be great gifts for a first birthday:
- Diapers- size four or larger should work (perhaps a diaper cake)
- Wipes- yep, still need these
- Boogie wipes are great too.
- Toddler toothbrush and toddler toothpaste
- Clothes- size 18 month or 2 year, keeping in mind the season when the child will be that age.
- A training potty
- Pull-ups, underwear, potty training books, or other things relating to potty training. The parents/child might not be interested in potty training before the 2nd birthday, but these items would be nice to have when that time comes.
- Baby food, healthy snacks, and feeding accessories like feeding bibs (the wipeable kind that catches food) and snack travel containers
- Sippy cups. We can't seem to have enough of these.
- A gift certificate for professional portraits might be a nice idea.
- Baby wash, shampoo, lotion, and cotton swabs are things that often need replacing.
- Shoes, I would go with size 6 to be on the safe side, but size 5 might work. For this newly walking stage, I strongly recommend flexible soles. I loved my son's Pedipeds (available at USA Baby, boutique baby shops, and ebay of course), which lasted several months. They are a little pricey (for my standards at least) at about $30, but I am really glad I got them.
- House slippers- cute and functional
- If you are creative, have time and access to a bunch of photos of the baby's first year, a photo book would be a great gift. I have made a few with Shutterfly that I am really happy with. A gift certificate for mommy to make a book with Shutterfly or comparable book maker would also work.
- A collection of books with the child's name in the title would be fun. I came across a website called More Than Paper where a book can incorporate a child's name, friends, hometown, etc.
- Last but not least, I can create something unique for a first birthday gift. I have the froggy potty gift and two gift basket examples in the photo gallery- the orange crate with diapers, sock monkey and other frequently used items, and the blue container with food and feeding accessories :)
Emily became a mommy on her birthday in July of 2008 to a wonderful son named Sam. She has since become rather obsessed with all things related to babies and baby items.