The American Academy of Pediatrics advises against giving honey to babies. Infants 12 months and younger who are given honey may develop infant botulism, which is a type of food poisoning caused by a bacteria called Clostridium botulinum that can be very serious in babies.
Quote: "This bacteria forms spores which when swallowed by a baby will start to produce a poisonous toxin in the baby's intestines. This toxin, known as botulin causes the various muscles in a baby to be paralyzed. The symptoms then develop because of this paralysis including, poor sucking, weak cry, irritability, lack of facial expression (i.e. cannot smile because the facial muscles are paralyzed. The most dangerous part of this infection is that if the diaphragm, our main breathing muscle, becomes paralyzed, than the baby will have trouble breathing." http://www.drpaul.com/library/HONEY.html
Another site says to never give honey to an infant as it may be associated with SIDS. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001566.htm
Leave a Reply.
Emily became a mommy on her birthday in July of 2008 to a wonderful son named Sam. She has since become rather obsessed with all things related to babies and baby items.